Friday, December 17, 2004

I beg your pardon

Someone took offense to me today.

I certainly meant no offense. That’s not to say I won’t offend with calculated precision when I feel like it. But I hate to offend by accident.

Every time this happens it reminds me that not everyone who offends me means to. I’m combative, regardless of my actual competence or incompetence in combat. My first reaction to perceived attack is the strongest defense I can muster. But it may not be appropriate. I have not really become slower to anger over the years, just slower to lash out. Sometimes.

It’s tricky to hop out of yourself instantly in order to view a situation from both sides. But you can even ascribe a combative motive to the exercise. By understanding your opponent you can more accurately tailor your counterattack. Or, if you’re charitably inclined, you can use their point of view as a basis for forgiveness. You’re better off either way. The faster you learn to do it, the more quickly you can make the appropriate action

Some people simply won’t accept an apology. Those are most distressing. All you can do then is get some distance between you and hope that time brings them peace. And suppress the urge to flip them off for being such thin-skinned ninnies. I said I was sorry, @$$#0!=!

No comments: