Monday, August 15, 2005

Question Authority

I am so reflexively argumentative that I will look for the flaws in just about any statement someone cares to make, even if it seems I should agree with it. The companion philosophy to Question Authority is Question Yourself. Don't let your own assumptions go unchallenged. Every once in a while you have to slap the bedrock hard, just to assure yourself it is still bedrock.

Moss-grown assumptions make most of the trouble for my irritable colleagues. The racism, the sexism, the elitism based on church denomination, place of origin or political affiliation guarantee that only their physical cowardice prevents them from being as ruthless as Al Qaida.

Perhaps physical cowardice is all that makes any of us hesitate that extra moment and try to understand another point of view, rather than attacking it in a berserk frenzy. But I'd like to think not.

No comments: